Carving runes on the inner sky of an empyeran, trying to make meaning and hoping that those from without understand as well.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Steam(punk)ed Kabbalah is delicious

Steampunk (and Kabbalah) are the two keywords that really get me going for a game, but to be honest I know little of each. I tend to like the fluffy parts of both of them. The tech in steampunk and the magic in kabbalah are what I really want. I intend to research them both more and make a neat proposition for a fusion game of them. So, we've got a kabbalah link from Joshua (thanks!), and I found this a while back on steampunk. So I wikipedia-ed steampunk, too, and am on a course. Again, as I've posted before, my biggest influences have always been Final Fantasy and Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver. Steampunk and soul magic and stuff like that.

I want:
  • Kingdoms: with wars, upset citizens, rebel movements, and weird lines/methods of royal ascension,
  • Magic: a cruel nature goddess and an oblivious time god (dualistic theology), crystals and runes/glyphs, souls as power and otherworld currency, time as a framework for all magic,
  • Tech: guns (I love big guns with funky stuff that you aren't sure if they work consistently), steamy mechs, metallic objects align to a person's soul or racial features, big honkin' airships, limited time travel,
  • Races: nothing named (elfs, dwarves, etc.), supernatural and mundane features, all starting with a base human, and acquirable in-game,
  • Classes: rich, poor, and a whole hierarchy of what roles are more important than others (mimicking the Japanese samurai, merchant, peasant style), and
  • Themes: age-old strife (is it worth fighting my father's war?), special times create special effects (night-time strengthens certain souls, anniversaries of major events hold special power - what about humanity marks time?), extreme emotions can create effects or summon creatures (what is this worth to you?), racism (why is it so pervasive? [everyone will be required to take a racism of some sort])

Comments?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home