Carving runes on the inner sky of an empyeran, trying to make meaning and hoping that those from without understand as well.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Shift Gears, Blow Steam





So, I've been thinking. Colin has been rocking my game concept pretty hard and doing a really good job at it. Maybe I should take a step back and not tie myself to console gaming so much and go a different direction. I've done some research today while in a class that didn't require too much attention. Take a look at these resources I want to explore or keep in mind:

Comic Books

  • Five Fists of Science
  • Ironwolf (and Ironwolf in Weird Worlds back issues)
  • Robotika

Video Games

  • The Longest Journey/Dreamfall
  • Final Fantasy series
  • Legacy of Kain series

Board Games

  • Mission: Red Planet

Books

  • Anubis Gates
  • Difference Engine

Movies

  • Vidocq

Key themes I'm still thinking of exploring:

Sacrifice - What will you sacrifice as you make choices? No choice should be examined closely without some level of sacrifice on the player's or character's part.

War - Before, after, during. Why do we wage war? How does it affect us? How many generations of peace does it take to lose a war mentality, or can it even be lost?

Relationship with God - I've laughed at things like this ever since I learned in science that you have to divorce yourself from it for true discussions. Is this true? What power faith? Can the dissonance of faith and science be reconciled?

Power - What it is it like to hold power over someone? Why is being powerless such a frightening thing?

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Pictures courtesy of Mess Studios: http://www.messs.cc

1:23 PM, May 22, 2006

 
Blogger Guy said...

Dammit, the art is amazing. What game is it for?

3:42 PM, June 04, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

As far as I can tell, none. Simply their art studio's work.

10:10 PM, June 04, 2006

 
Blogger Guy said...

Ah, somehow I thought it was for your game, and I was like, "Hot damn!"

5:09 PM, June 05, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

No shit. Maybe I should comission them :) I'll be more explanative the next time I post random pictures.

5:43 PM, June 05, 2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home