Carving runes on the inner sky of an empyeran, trying to make meaning and hoping that those from without understand as well.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Fallen Idols

So, recently, I've played two games that are considered hallmark achievements in the Indie RPG community, Dogs in the Vineyard and Burning Wheel.

My heart sinks as I realize that I just don't like them. Burning Wheel is great for its principles, i.e., focusing on the problems with D&D style gaming and offering solutions. Dogs has a great mechanic which makes arguments and fights and description fluid and fun.

But I'm just not liking them. Burning Wheel is obvious to me: I don't need different systems to handle different events - a solid concept for dealing with all situations is ideal and expected by me at this point. But Dogs, though, Dogs ... I had a hard time last night, because I wanted to talk to Andy about it but I couldn't (and still can't) articulate it very well. Examining my morals sounded like a great idea at first, but now, after playing it, I'm not so sure.

I think I'm scared.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home